The History of Pomonkey High School
Pomonkey High School was a product of the aspirations of our
fore parents who realized that in order to take advantage of opportunities, one
must be prepared.
Many of the colored youth who wished to further their education
after completing elementary school had to attend schools in the District of
Columbia or other cities. This placed a strain on the interrelations of the
family as well as the youths themselves. Members of the neighborhood began
discussing the possibility of having a school of higher learning established in
the community. And so it was, that such group met with the Board of Education
for the purpose of requesting a public high school. The meeting resulted in the Board agreeing to provide a building
and teachers if the parents raised a specified amount of money to supplement
the Board. This group sponsored fundraisers
to raise the needed amount. The original name was Colored Industrial School.
land needed for this project, which consisted of 16 acres, was deeded to the
Board of Education on April 7, 1922, by the Joshua Lodge #65 Independent Order
of Good Samaritans and Daughters of Samaria. It was signed by the Order's President, Mr.
J. Wesley Key, Sr., and Secretary, Mr. J.T. Slater.
Very anxious for their youth to begin this continued education, the members of Metropolitan Methodist Church agreed to permit
classes to begin in the church's annex until the building for the high school
was completed. Upon completion, the classes were moved to the two-story frame
building which housed both the elementary and high school students. '
Being the only colored high school in the county meant students
desiring a high school education came from all areas of the county to attend
classes. There were even students enrolled from our neighboring counties of St.
Mary's and Prince George's. Due to the slow mode and almost lack of
transportation, these students were boarded, at their parents' expense, in the
Later, a dormitory was built for the purpose of housing these
students. Finally, bus transportation was provided. Since the bus had to cross
the county, we can imagine how long, bumpy' and tiring the journey was. The dormitory
was later used to house the teaching staff.
Records from the Board
of Education's minute's show that the first principal assigned was Mr. Alonzo
Connelly, to be assisted by his wife, Mrs. Carolyn B. Connelly. In the beginning, classes were small with
basic subject areas of study. The first class to graduate was the class of
1924. Two years of study was required to graduate. The Class of 1925 was
required to complete three years in order to graduate. Later the requirements
were changed to four years.
Due to increased class enrollments, a new building was erected for the high school students in 1932. The elementary students were left in the original two-story frame building (there was a basement, which often flooded).
In those days, basically the subject areas were English, Math, History, Home Economics and Agriculture/Shop. Teachers were required to teach more than one subject. As for extra-curricular activities such as sports and instrumental music, the teachers initiated these activities voluntarily.
In the school year of
1941-1942, the original high
school building was completely destroyed by fire. The first and second grades were housed in the Elks' Lodge on Route 227 (Livingston Road) and the auditorium of the high school became an "open space" school of sorts for grades three through seven. This arrangement continued, possibly because of the shortage of
materials during World War II, until the new elementary
school opened in the 1946-1947 school year. The new school was
relocated on Route 227 and named J.C. Parks Elementary
School, after our first Colored Supervisor, and is still in use today.
The PTA was a very active organization. Its members were parents of the elementary and high school students. It was responsible for obtaining the first African American nurse, Theresa Jackson, the first African-American doctor, Percival Smith, M.D., and the first African-American dentist, William Mitchell, D.D.S. in Charles
The parents were involved in other school activities such as sales of refreshments (hot dogs and sodas) on Field Days which were held on the 30th of May. Competition of games were held between the now two colored high Schools (Pomonkey and Bel Alton) and the many elementary schools. High School activities included softball and volleyball. Elementary activities were Sack Races, Egg/Spoon Relays and Flag Relays.
The beginning of the school year in 1947 meant a new system for the county. Elementary grades became 1-6, Junior High grades 7-9 and Senior High grades 10-12. Now twelve years were required in order to graduate. The commercial course was added to the curriculum that provided instructions in typing and shorthand. The first Commercial Class graduated in 1949. Due to the additional grade required, there was not a graduating class in 1950. The class of 1951 was the first to complete twelve years before graduating. The year of 1950-1951 marked the beginning of Physical Education and Guidance in
the curriculum. f
Students participated in various sports events such as basketball, football, and track meets (completing with schools throughout the state) and there were even debating teams. Many of the above offered rewards of trophies, certificates, etc, which instilled incentive and pride to the student body.
courses of curriculum became the structure-academic, commercial and general. The first class to graduate under this new structuring was the
Class of 1954. Subjects added to the curriculum were art, instrumental music
A new building was created and classes began there in 1959. Hardback yearbooks
were published and issued for 1955-1969. As integration became a reality in
1962, the students of the area were given "freedom of choice" in
deciding the high school they wished to attend.
In 1966, the process of rezoning and integration began which meant a change of student bodies in the high schools. From 1966 to 1969, Pomonkey began to be integrated with the all white schools, Lackey High School and La Plata High School. Pomonkey held its last graduation in June 1969.
The old Pomonkey High School building was re-opened as a public middle school in 1970, and rededicated as Matthew Henson Middle School. It was
renamed after a Charles County African-American man who
was on the “first” to reach the North Pole.